In 1882, local investors bought a stand of redwood timber near Fortuna and formed the Eel River Valley Lumber Company. In 1884 the mill was completed as was the town called Newburg. There were 20 houses, 25 cabins and a store. A spur was built when the Eel River & Eureka Railroad was completed to Fields Landing. Mrs. Dodge became the company president when her husband died in 1911 and the company name was changed to the E.J. Dodge Lumber Co. Logging was suspended in 1930 due to the Depression and in 1931 the mill shut down. It was dismantled in 1943 and a number of buildings were sold for their lumber.