The Metropolitan Lumber Company was incorporated by investors who built a sawmill on the Eel just north of Rio Dell in 1904. A company town was built as well. It consisted of a general store, post office, school, saloon (down the road), small cabins, larger homes for married workers and a hotel. After nearby timber was all cut, a logging railroad was built across the Eel river to more timber. When most of that lumber was finally cut by 1925, the mill closed. Twenty-six company houses were purchased by two brothers and moved to Rio Dell. The hotel, damage by the 1964 flood, lasted until a couple of years ago. A few privately owned houses remain today.