Korbel (North Fork)
In 1882, the Korbel Brothers, vinyard owners from Sonoma County, built a mill on the Mad River to produce lumber for wine vats and other purposes. The Arcata & Mad River Railroad was also purchased and extended to the mill at North Fork. The name of the town was changed to Korbel in 1891. The Korbel Brothers sold their holdings to Northern Redwood Lumber Company in 1913. In 1956 Simpson Redwood Company purchased Northern Redwood. The town declined beginning in the 1930s since it was so close to Blue Lake and Arcata and automobile transportation was improved. Few houses are left near the mill at Korbel but apparently they are still owned by the lumber company.