The Elk River Mill & Lumber Co. acquired 9,000 acres of Redwood timber on the South Fork of the Elk River in 1882. Because it was so isolated, the town of Falk had to be built along with the mill. The Bucksport & Elk River Railroad was built from the mill to Humboldt Bay. The Elk River Mill & Lumber Co. had its own logging railroad beyond the mill. During the Great Depression, operations slowed and then halted. Operations resumed briefly in 1936, but in 1937 all operations were shut down for good. Workers moved out. In 1952 some of the dilapidated buildings were torn down. The last resident left in 1961 after his house burned. In 1979 the remaining buildings were bulldozed.