Arcata & Mad River Railroad
This crew speeder car is currently used by THA for speeder rides and was home built in the 1960s. It was originally used to take workers out to do track work, as an inspection car, and occasionally as an ambulance or for other logging related assignments. Another similar Pacific Lumber Company crew car, with the motor removed, is used as a trailer car. The two work in tandem to haul THA visitors on the fourth Saturday of June-September in Samoa and at various other Humboldt locations on selected dates. See the THA calendar for all speeder run dates and locales.
Northwestern Pacific Business Car
No. 06, Redwood
This car was built by Pullman in 1916 as a coach for the Texas & New Orleans Railroad (No. 823). In 1926 Southern Pacific had several Texas & New Orleans coaches converted to branch line business cars. This car became official car No. 987, the Beaumont; it was renamed the Victoria in 1929. The car was sold to the Southern Pacific in 1941 and then sold/assigned to the Northwestern Pacific Railroad. It served as the NWP business car No. 06, the Redwood, from 1941 to 1954. Subsequently it became NWP maintenance of way car No. 211.
Northwestern Pacific Coach
Built by Pullman in 1914, this car was part of a group of thirty new mainline cars–the last new cars purchased for the railroad. In 1957 the passenger car was transferred to maintenance of way, and became MW200. Seats were removed during the maintenance of way service days. Wes and Cindy Vail purchased the car (and No. 211) in 1974 and restored it over a period of time. The missing conventional coach seats were replaced by individual parlor car seats. The three former NWP cars were donated to THA in 2010.
Southern Pacific Dining Car
This 1916 dining car was built by Pullman for the El Paso & Southwestern Railroad as No. 873. It was used on the Golden State Limited, a luxurious Chicago to Los Angeles train operated by the Rock Island, El Paso & Southwestern, and the Southern Pacific. This fancy dining car with mahogany paneling, inlaid wood designs, stained glass windows, brass fixtures and the rest of the train were designed to compete with other fancy name trains like the Santa Fe’s California Limited. It was removed from the Golden State in the 1920s when SP took over the EP&S and then used throughout the SP system. It was renumbered No. 10121 (all SP diner numbers started with 10). Its use in passenger service ended in 1939 when it became MW No.903. It was assigned as a kitchen car on a dedicated major wreck clearing train out of Oakland. It was assigned to Northwestern Pacific maintenance of way service in 1955 as NWPMW No. 903. It was last used in the reconstruction of the NWP after the 1964 flood. The NWP never had dining cars (they stopped in Willits for daytime trains). Even though in maintenance of way service, it retained some of its dining car features. It was purchased by Wes and Cindy Vail in 1968 and donated to THA in 2010.
Southern Pacific Commute Cars
Nos. 2091, 2095, 2106, and 2148
Built in 1924, these coach cars served in suburban commuter service between San Jose and San Francisco until 1985. After retirement they were purchased by the Golden Gate Railroad Museum. They were sold to the Virginia & Truckee Railway Reconstruction Commission and moved by rail to the Western Pacific Railroad Museum at Portola. The state commission decided the cars were too heavy and too long for use on the extended Virginia & Truckee project and so were sold to THA. They were moved by truck to Samoa in 2010.
The Pacific Lumber Company Caboose
The caboose was home built in TPL’s Scotia shops. It was purchased from the Town Of Scotia Company in 2010 by Marcus Brown and donated to THA as a memorial to his mother. It currently sits in “Caboose Square” behind the historic 1893 wooden Roundhouse.
Fruit Growers Express Refrigerator Car
This wooden refrigerator car was built by the Fruit Growers Express Company in 1928. This car is currently undergoing external restoration and has been repainted in traditional company colors. The main body is a yellow with black lettering being applied by long time THA volunteer Wes Fulton.